Church of the Incarnation closes its doors on the Feast of the Incarnation
Christmas Day, 2018, was the final service at Church of the Incarnation, Episcopal Church in Gregory. Right Reverend John Tarrant of the Diocese of Sioux Falls was present as eighteen people gathered for the closing chapter of this mission church.
Under President Ulysses S. Grant’s peace policy of 1869, all Indian tribes were confined to reservations and management of the reservations was assigned to various religious denominations. Most of the Sioux (Dakota, Nakota, Lakota) were herded onto land west of the Missouri River, known as the Great Sioux Reservation. Several agencies on that reserve were placed under the care of the Episcopal church.
Rev. A.B. Clark held the first services among the white people on the Rosebud in the newly started town of Dallas, which in 1907 was the end of the railroad line. During the winters of 1907 and 1908 services were held in the school house.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition https://etypeservices.com/Gregory%20Times-AdvocateID427/