Wernke leaves big shoes to fill

A small town movie theatre is too important to lose. So thought several community leaders after the Hipp Theatre closed in the early 2000’s at which time they transitioned the theatre from private ownership to a community-run operation.

Movies have a long history in Gregory. An article in the April 22, 1909, Gregory Times-Advocate stated the following: “Bovee & Flannery, who have rented the Schultz Building recently occupied by C.W. White, have fitted up the same for an electric theatre which will open tomorrow night. These people come from Elk Point and are experienced in handling electric theatres. All their paraphernalia is new and up-to-date, and the public is assured of their money’s worth.”

Yesterday and Today in the Gregory Area cites 1912 as the opening of the Hipp Theatre in Gregory. Located in the area where Bank-West now sits, it burned down and was rebuilt in its current location in 1952.

While Chuck and Annette Wagner had ownership, they undertook the task of remodeling the building into what it is today.

Since becoming a community theatre, the sound system and projector have been updated.

 

To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition https://etypeservices.com/Gregory%20Times-AdvocateID427/

 

 

 

Ainsworth Star-Journal

921 E. 4th St.
P.O. Box 145
Ainsworth, NE 69210
PH: (402) 387-2844
FAX: (402) 387-1234

Valentine Midland News

146 W. 2nd St.
P.O. Box 448
Valentine, NE 69201
PH: (402) 376-2833
FAX: (402) 376-1946

Gregory Times-Advocate

119 E. 7th St.
P.O. Box 378
Gregory, SD 57533
PH: (605) 835-8089
FAX: (605) 835-8467