Kilgore United Methodist Church has closed after 109 years
Weddings, baptisms, Christmas programs, Easter services, funerals, communion, catechism,Sunday school, Fall Festivals, and countless Sunday services were held in the Kilgore United Methodist Church over the past 109 years. Laughter, tears, voices lifted in song, prayers and the Word of God graced the little church on the corner and now silence, and perhaps still some tears.
After holding church in homes and other places, Pastor J. R. Jordan called a meeting to discuss plans to build a church in Kilgore in October of 1909. Isaac Ripley donated the site for the church in November and the church was built and dedicated on June 10, 1910.
Five years later in 1915 and 1916, a parsonage was built next to the church. It stood there until May of 2001, when it was sold because of several break-ins. It was converted into a home and moved to Nenzel where it was later remodeled into a lovely home. Fittingly, a local pastor lives there with his family.
In January of 1916 the church joined the Nebraska Annual Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
To read more please log in or subscribe to the digital edition https://etypeservices.com/Valentine%20Midland%20NewsID426/